Kids Demand Healthier School Meals Says New Research
LONDON, November 11 /PRNewswire/ -- Kids want healthy food on their school menus and would eat more school meals if someone like Jamie Oliver designed them, reveals a new survey out today.
SwapitShop, the youth marketplace, asked over 1,000 youngsters aged 7-16 in October what they really thought of their school meals. Over 90% said they would like healthier meals at school, with 60% saying their schools were not providing them.
Other key points were:
- 80% want less fat and grease and more choice.
- 80% want tastier food
- Main complaints - greasy fatty foods, mushy vegetables, limited choice, long queues. Quotes include: 'Stop feeding us chips everyday'.
- Kids not parents choose whether they eat school meals.
The majority of kids surveyed said their schools were not delivering healthy, tasty food in a pleasant environment. Common complaints included excessively greasy and fatty food, poorly cooked vegetables and low quality food with poor taste. Kids wanted more choice including pasta, Chinese & Indian dishes, salads and fruit. Where healthy options were provided, these were of limited quantity and ran out quickly. Poor canteen facilities were also a common complaint with kids saying that they had to queue for ages.
Not getting it right:
- 'Use lower-fat cooking methods and ingredients'
- 'More vegetables in good condition not sloppy!'
- 'No queues..., queuing takes up half of my lunch break so there's no point!'
- 'Chicken dishes don't taste remotely like chicken'
- 'Semolina looks and tastes like sick'
Trying to get it right:
- 'More options than chips. In my canteen there is only enough healthy meals for 30 people out of the 700 that have meals'
Getting it right:
- 'My school food is great... free salad & veg & they put on a healthy set meal... they could advertise more about healthy food though.'
Jonathan Attwood, SwapitShop CEO, said, "The SwapitShop survey showed that kids want to eat healthier food and have more choice. Some schools have got it right and are clearly working hard to meet their customers' needs, others are way behind. Adults would not accept it, why should kids!"
Swapits - The reward currency for kids and teens.
SwapitShop - A fast moving, constantly changing auction marketplace for kids and teens.
Journalists and Bloggers
Visit PR Newswire for Journalists for releases, photos and customised feeds just for Media.
View and download archived video content distributed by MultiVu on The Digital Center.
Until you hear the full story, why would you invest?
Making sound investment decisions can be difficult. You can study the figures and read the analyst recommendations, but how do you really know the story behind company strategy? How can you get answers to your questions?
The Private Investor Network helps you to reach an informed decision on the stocks you pick. Interactive presentations from UK listed companies give you the kind of access previously enjoyed only by the big fund managers. And with keynote speeches from industry experts, downloadable content and an investor lounge where you can swap tips with your peers, you can invest with confidence.
For more information, and to register for FREE, visit us at www.privateinvestornetwork.co.uk
Get content for your website
Enhance your website's or blog's content with PR Newswire's customised real-time news feeds.
Contact PR Newswire
Send us an email at MarketingUK@prnewswire.co.uk or call us at +44 (0)20 7454 5382
Become a PR Newswire client
Request more information about PR Newswire products & services or call us at +44 (0)20 7454 5382