KFC Becomes World's First Brand Visible From Space
LONDON, November 13 /PRNewswire/ --
- KFC Launches Global Re-Image as it Unveils Astronomical 87,500 Square-Foot New Colonel Sanders Logo in Area 51
- Global Re-Image Campaign Contemporises Entire Look of KFC - From Logo to Restaurant Design, Advertising, Packaging, Point-Of-Sale, Uniforms and More
Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) today became the world's first brand visible from outer space after unveiling a giant image of founder Colonel Sanders in the Nevada desert.
The Colonel Sanders 'astrovertisement' was built in Rachel, Nevada, the 'UFO Capital of the World', just off the world's only extraterrestrial Highway, in the infamous Area 51.
"KFC's new look contemporises one of the most recognized and cherished brand icons in the world and spans all visual elements from logo to restaurant design, advertising, packaging, uniforms and more. The Colonel is truly a global icon and we want everyone in the universe to see KFC's new look of the future," said Graham Allan, President of KFC International.
"Whether it is Original Recipe(TM) or Zinger(TM), consumers around the world can always expect a delicious and unique taste with our chicken. They know KFC food excites the senses and that life tastes better with KFC," added Allan "This is why KFC is boldly going where no brand has gone before!"
The new logo depicts Colonel Sanders with his signature string tie, but replaces his classic white, button-down suit with a red apron. The apron symbolizes the home-style culinary heritage of the brand and reminds customers that KFC is always in the kitchen cooking delicious, high-quality, freshly prepared chicken by hand in the restaurants, just the way Colonel Sanders did fifty years ago.
Martin Shuker, Managing Director of KFC GB Ltd, said, "As an innovative brand, we always look for ways to improve our restaurants and menu choices and to respond to our consumers. For example, we recently introduced the Deluxe Boneless Box which is proving extremely popular. We are committed to continued growth in the UK and look forward to watching the new logo roll out next year."
To view the world's largest logo go to www.kfc.com
Note to Editors:
Pictures accompanying this release is available through the PA Photowire. It can be viewed at www.mediapoint.press.net or www.prnewswire.co.uk
The Colonel's Top Secret Mission
The massive logo, which is referred to as the "Face from Space" by the project team, is so large it needs comparison:
- Big Ben - the Bell itself is called Big Ben - diameter = 9ft (height = 7ft 6in) - the bell could be replicated 1354 times to fit into the logo. Alternatively the clock face of Big Ben has an area of 28.26 sq ft (radius 3) and can fit into the logo 3043 times
- Stonehenge - The largest stones in Stonehenge are the Sarsen stones which measure 8ft wide by 25ft long. Based on this measurement, you would be able to fit 435 stones into the KFC logo
- The London Eye - The wheel of the London Eye has an area of 12,568 sq ft meaning that it fits into the KFC logo 6.9 times
- Angel of the North - Colonel Sanders stands five times taller than the Angel of the North
- York Minster - Colonel Sanders is almost twice the height of the towers of York Minster
- It took a team of nearly 50 designers, engineers, scientists (including astrophysicists), architects and other professionals working nearly three months to conceive, create and execute building the world's largest logo.
- The "Face from Space" took more than 3,000 hours to create from inception to launch and was built by Synergy Events, a leader in integrated experiential marketing.
- The logo consists of 65,000, one-foot by one-foot SnapCourt (TM) tile pieces that were assembled
- Like a giant jigsaw puzzle: 6,000 red, 14,000 white, 12,000 eggshell, 5,000 beige and 28,000 black.
- The "Face from Space" took more than 3,000 hours to create from inception to launch and was built by Synergy, a leading event company.
- The logo consists of 65,000, one-foot by one-foot painted tile pieces that were assembled like a giant jigsaw puzzle: 6,000 red, 14,000 white, 12,000 eggshell, 5,000 beige and 28,000 black.
- The logo took 24 days, working around-the-clock, to manufacture and ultimately produce. It then took six days on site to construct the logo, during which time the logo design pieces were kept hidden and under cover from identified and unidentified flying objects.
- Area 51's secretive nature and link to classified aircraft research and reports of unusual phenomena, have led it to become the centrepiece of modern UFO and conspiracy theory. Other key activities associated with Area 51 include rumours of meetings with extraterrestrials, the development of time travel technology and the storage, examination and reverse engineering of crashed alien spacecraft (including material supposedly recovered at Roswell, NM).
- Due to the unprecedented nature of the project, the team endured numerous twists and turns along the way including a freak torrential downpour that rendered the original site inaccessible. The first location was in the flatlands of Utah near the home of the very first KFC restaurant.
- A state-of-the-art GEO satellite captured the image of the logo as it circled the earth at an altitude of 300 miles. This is only the fourth time in more than 50 years that the logo has changed.
KFC Restaurant of the Future
- After three years of testing different restaurant designs in the U.S. and international markets, KFC is today revealing its restaurant look of the future. KFC's new global image is in the process of rolling out in restaurants around the world and will be completed within the next five years.
- The new global design is refreshing, contemporary, highly-differentiated and helps keep KFC relevant with customers by giving them a higher quality overall dining experience.
- The new design is based on thoughtful strategic tenets which provide a strong brand image foundation, while being flexible for different international market needs. It communicates a progressive and energetic spirit for KFC and prepares the brand for future global growth.
KFC (GB) Facts & figures
- in 2005 KFC (GB) opened an average of one new outlet per week, has set a target of opening 30 new restaurants in 2006 and an additional 30 in 2007
- The first KFC in Britain opened in Preston in 1965 and was the first quick service restaurant here (opening restaurants before either McDonalds or Burger King)
- KFC (GB) is the only high street fast food outlet that serves freshly prepared whole chicken, not reformed or reconstituted chicken products
KFC Corporation, based in Louisville, Ky., is the world's most popular chicken restaurant chain specializing in Original Recipe(R), Extra Crispy(TM) and Colonel's Crispy Strips(R) with home-style sides, Honey BBQ Wings, and freshly made chicken sandwiches. There are more than 14,000 KFC outlets in more than 80 countries and territories around the world, serving some 12 million customers each day. KFC Corporation is a subsidiary of Yum! Brands, Inc., Louisville, Ky. (NYSE: YUM.)
Get content for your website
Enhance your website's or blog's content with PR Newswire's customised real-time news feeds.
Contact PR Newswire
Send us an email at MarketingUK@prnewswire.co.uk or call us at +44 (0)20 7454 5382
Become a PR Newswire client
Request more information about PR Newswire products & services or call us at +44 (0)20 7454 5382